Conglomerate Karst in Slovenia : history of cave knowledge and research of Udin Boršt (Gorenjsko)
Andrej Kranjc - (34/2,2005)
Folk tales and tradition evidence that people in Udin Borąt were aware of caves from old. In the 19th century a special type of outlaws occurred in Gorenjska. One of the centres was in Udin Borąt where brigands hid in caves. Under the French occupation the villagers hid in the caves, while during the 2nd World War they were partisans. Water is another factor playing an important role at studying Udin Borąt. Most of the villages were water supplied from Udin Borąt, partly out of caves. As elsewhere in conglomerates in Udin Borąt also there are traces of rock cutting for millstones. The first printed news about the caves in Udin Borąt are found in Valvasor's Die Ehre des Herzothums Crain. The book History of the Ljubljana Bishop's Diocese cites seven caves. The modern caving research started in 1946. In 1954 the members of the Natural Science Circle of the 1st Grammar School, Kranj started to visit caves in Udin Borąt. About that time a co-worker of the Karst Research Institute from Postojna started to research these caves. The caves in Udin Borąt were revisited in the seventieth of the past century in connection with the project "Speleological Map of Slovenia". The connection between the people and the land can be seen from the topographical names too. The last part of the paper deals with these names, including the explanation of the name Udin Borąt.